1/24/18 Hi coaches, We are making our final preparations for this weekend. We hope you are excited! It looks like we will end up with 61 total B teams!! A few minor updates before teams start to travel.
1.Electronic Copies of Tests Due Today: As of 11:00am today here are the tests that I don't have yet:
Anatomy - Magnolia Crime - OCSA/Churchill Experimental Design - Ladera Vista/ Cerro Villa Hovercraft - Kennedy Microbe Mission - South Point Mystery Architecture - Pioneer Optics - Ocean Air Rocks Gardner Coaches please relieve my stress by getting me these tests today!!
2. Impound starts at 7am. I hope to have all the classrooms open when the gates open at 630am. Students who are impounding must have a wristband.
3. Still looking for - A photogate timing system for Battery Buggy. Please let me know if you have one we can use. - A pole to help get stuck wright stuff planes down in the gym. Please let me know if you have one
4. Engineering Event Score Sheets. I am attaching a link to the electronic score sheets. The team name and numbers have already been inserted in them. Coaches, please help you proctors get familiar with these sheets. We really want proctors to use them. Build Event Score Sheets
5. Self Schedule to end on Friday 5pm
Probably one more update before Friday afternoon but we're getting close!!!
1/17/18 Update # 3 Hello fellow coaches. You are receiving this email because your school is signed up for the Kraemer Invitational Tournament on January 27th, 2018. Sorry its been so long since the last update but I promise we have been working diligently behind the scene to make this the best Kraemer Invite yet! There is a ton of important information in this email so please read it all the way through.
Event Schedule The event schedule has been updated. The first time slot has be moved up to 8am. Impound will begin at 7am. Gates to the school will open at approximately 630. We hope to have the rooms unlocked by 645am. Please check the time slots to make sure your students know the correct time to arrive at their events.
Team Numbers Team numbers have shifted yet again. Please double check and make sure you have the most recent information.
Self Scheduling Instructions The window for sign up events will open on Monday Jan 22 at 345pm. Sign ups will be done using a Google spreadsheet. The time slots will be divided into 5 min increments. We will accept one team per time segment. You can reserve a time slot by entering a comment on the sheet. In order to spread out the number of teams per time slot, we will also run build events in all 6 time slots. In addition, the Hovercraft and Thermodynamics events will be run, as self schedule. Therefore those events will be offered in all 6 time slots. Your students will report to those two events at the beginning of the main time slot to take the test. for example if I sign my students up to take hovercraft at 2:20, they will need to be at the room at the beginning of the time slot (2:00pm) to start the written portion of the test. Click here to visit the scheduling spreadsheet
1. Currently the spreadsheet is on view only. On Jan 22 at 3:45, I will switch the document to comment only. 1. To enter a comment, click on the particular box of the slot you are requesting. 2. Right click, select insert comment. 3. Enter your school name and team number. (Example; Kraemer #60) 4. We will allow 1 teams per 5 min time block. Once 2 teams have commented in a particular time slot, I will change them from comments to permanent request. If you need to cancel a spot, just place another comment in the box and I will resolve it! 5. Sign ups will close on Friday afternoon at 5pm
Self schedule will be on a first come first serve basis. If you cant get the time slot that you need before the end of the self schedule time period, you will need to work it out with the proctor on the day of the tournament. This will be out of the tournament directors hand's.
Parking: Note we have two parking lots on Angelina drive. One is on the corner of Angelina and Alta Vista. The secondary lot is further down Angelina towards Chapman. Once the main lot fills you will need to find spaces in the surrounding neighborhoods. There are student parking lots located offBradford avenue that can also be used. Please respect our neighbors and their driveway access and follow all normal parking codes. There is a loading/ unloading area right up front near the Kraemer front office.
Staging Area Please plan on setting up your base camps on the PE blacktop. Unfortunately we do not have the resources to be able to provide home base classrooms this year. The following is a link to the Kraemer Campus Map.
Forms: There are two required forms attached to this email. The first is a photo release form. This year we will be having another slide show in between the last event and the awards. We have two photographers that will be taking pictures throughout the event. Photographers have been ask to take action shots and videos. They have been instructed not to take close up pictures of students devices. The official photographers will have official press passes. The second is a student release form.
Awards Ceremony We have a committee that is working very hard to prepare an great award ceremony! So far, the timeline looks something like this: 400 - 500 Science Bowl 500 - 520 Minute to Win It 520 - 540 slide show with photos throughout the day
545 - 645 awardsceremony
Science Bowl I have a couple of former student who really want to through a science bowl in between the last event and the awards ceremony. They are working out details of it now and as soon as I have more information, I will forward it along. They are looking for three kids from each school to participate! It will be some sort of bracket style tournament. This will be a informal, fun activity!
Trial Event Don't forget that we will be running Mechatronics as a Trial event. This will also be run in the first 5 time slots on a first come, first serve bases.
Needs 1. Looking for an extra sand loading device for towers. We currently have one, we are looking for two more. If your school has one that they might be able to bring please send me an email. 2. Looking for 3 sets of photogate timers for Battery Buggy. If your school has photogate timers that they might be able to bring please send me an email.
Test Copies Please send me a copy of your test and answer key by Tuesday Jan 23. This way we will have enough time to organize the folder and make sure it is ready to distribute the day after the event! Your team will not recieve access to the event folder until we have received your contributions!
Other than that, I am guessing there will be one or two last minute emails with updates next week.
12/1/17 Update # 2 Hello coaches. The 2017 invitational season is underway. I'm excited, I hope you are too. Here at Kraemer, we've been working hard to prepare for an amazing 2018 tournament.
1. Updates: There have been several updates to the tournament website. Please click here to view the tournament website. Team numbers have shifted slightly please take note of the shift. We still have a couple teams on a wait list. That being said, there are still a couple teams I have yet to receive payment from. As much as I would like to be lenient on this, I need to get each team's payment by December 12. If not, I reserve the right to move teams from the waitlist into those positions. Please view the most up-to-date team list to check if I have received payment. As much as I want to include everyone, I am unable to add additional teams.
2. Proctoring: Please make sure the event your team has been assigned has a good proctor who is working hard on their test. See proctor information below. We have two schools running Experimental Design, Anatomy, Towers, Roller Coaster, and Battery Buggy since they will be tough to run with the high number of teams; look for a coordination email as a follow up to this email with contact information from both coaches.
3. Trial Events: It looks like we will be able to run one trial event. I wanted to get the rules out to the teams so they could start to work on these events. The title of the trial event is Amazing Mechatronics.For those coaches who are new to trial events, any student from your school can compete in these events; they do not have to be a member of your team. They do not count towards the team scores but the top six places will get an individual medal. Only one pair of students per team can compete. The rules we will use for B Amazing Mechatronics are attached. The schedule is not updated with this event yet but I suspect it will be a sign up event.
10/20/17 Update #1 Hello, fellow coaches. You are receiving this email because your school is signed up for the Kraemer Invitational Tournament on January 27th, 2017. Here are the latest updates regarding the Kraemer Invitational: 1) Tournament Website: The tournament website has been updated. See theKraemer Invitational link for the latest information. 2) Registration: We currently have 59 teams registered. We are officially sold out with additional teams on a wait list. This will be pretty close to the biggest “B” level tournament in the country. If circumstances change and you cannot make our invitational, please let us know ASAP so we can get in schools that we do not have room for right now. I have attached a spreadsheet that shows payments that we have received. If, for some reason, your 2nd or additional team cannot compete, please let me know so that I can replace them with teams from the waiting list. 3) Proctor Assignments and Team Numbers: The teams, team numbers, and events assignments are up on the invitational website. See above for link. Please look over the event we have you scheduled to run and let us know ASAP if you cannot do a good job with that event. We will send out more instructions about events at a later date. We did honor most school's top three event requests, although five events will be run from the fourth through sixth choices. No schools signed up to proctor Crime or Experimental, so a couple schools had to be assigned these events. Trust us, it wasn't possible to do it any other way. We have two schools running Experimental Design, Anatomy, Towers, Roller Coaster, and Battery Buggy since they will be tough to run with the high number of teams; we will be sending out contact information to those schools soon so you can coordinate to run those events. If you are in charge of an event and think that you’ll need an additional school to help, please send me an email. My biggest fear with so many teams is that one or two events won’t be able to finish grading on time. If you have multiple teams attending and are only being asked to proctor one event, we will ask that you consider running a trial event. The possible trial events are listed on the following site: https://www.soinc.org/learn/trial-events (Code Analysis looks interesting, we will be seeing some sort of "true" coding event soon). Another possible "trial" event is a previous event: https://www.soinc.org/learn/event-archive. Of course, some individual states have run some interesting events: http://www.newyorkscioly.org/tournaments/comp_events/ Please look over these events and see if there is one that you believe your school could run, and let us know if you are interested. We will then contact the appropriate people and get the official permission to run the event. Assuming all that works out, we will contact you. This process has to be relatively quick so we can order the correct number of medals and teams can have a sufficient amount of time to work on the "new" events. If not a trial event, we would ask that your 2nd team(s) help run the invitational by providing volunteers to help run some of the more difficult to grade events (events that take longer to grade) so the event supervisor can be grading while the second and third hours of that event are going on. We are also looking into a way to ask for parent volunteers (we are working on the logistics of this but providing parent volunteers will be optional for schools, not mandatory); we are hoping this assistance will allow us to start the awards ceremony on time and get everyone out of here earlier.
4) Regional registration: It is a National Science Olympiad rule that all teams competing in any invitational be registered with their local region. Teams and invitationals that violate this rule are subject to severe consequences including not being able to compete at any level, so we will be enforcing this rule. We will be checking with your regional/state director starting December 1st. Please try to ensure your team(s) is/are registered by then. Teams that we cannot confirm registrations for will not be able to compete.
5) Engineering sign ups: Sign ups will be done on-line, and the date is still being determined, but we are looking at the middle of December. We will send out the date, time, and method when we have determined all the details.
6) Schedule: Invitational schedule will follow the Southern California state schedule which can be found at this link:State Schedule 7) Schedule conflicts: Since we have a number of first time teams and coaches, event conflicts are part of Science Olympiad and will occur at basically every tournament that you compete in. There is nothing we can do about that. In our experience, these conflicts allow students to try new events and have often resulted in very positive outcomes as students learn they enjoy a different subject (granted, other times it results in students confirming they don't like the new subject, but at least it is now an informed distaste). We encourage all coaches to work with their teams to determine the best way for you to handle the conflicts. 8) Hotels: For teams that are interested in securing hotel rooms for the Invitational, please contact me for a list of recommended hotels. 9) Homerooms: Unfortunately, teams will not be provided homerooms. Please plan on camping out somewhere on campus. In case of rain, there are many covered walkways available. When you set up your “campsite” please keep a portion of the walkway clear for people to get by. As we try to do with all updates, a copy of this update can be found on the website. Looking forward to having your team at the Kraemer Invitational Tournament. Please email me if you have any questions or concerns!